What are the most common types of questions in English? There are two common types of questions in English.
1. Wh questions-
- What is your name?
- What is your favourite place?
2. Yes, no questions-
- Do you like dog?
- Do you love me?
What are Wh questions/word?
We use Wh words to ask about different types of information.
|Wh- word||Type of information|
Who- We use who to ask about a person.
- Who are you?
- Who is he?
- who is she?
- Who did you come with?
- Who is calling you?
- Who wants some water?
What- We use what to ask about a things.
- What are you doing?
- What is that?
- What is the time?
- What is your name?
- What does your friend do?
- What time do you go home?
Where- We use where to ask about a place.
- Where are you going?
- Where are my books?
- Where are you coming from?
- Where is my brother?
- Where can I find a swimming pool?
- Where is my dog?
When– We use when to ask about time.
- When does your class start?
- When are you going home?
- When does the movie start?
- When is the doctor’s appointment?
- When is your cricket match?
- When are you free?
Which- We use which to ask about Choice.
- Which one is your pen?
- Which one do you want?
- Which subject do you like best?
- Which book do you want to read?
- Which flower would you like?
- Which one would you prefer?
Why- We use why to ask about a reason.
- Why are you so happy?
- Why is the baby crying?
- Why did you change your clothes?
- Why can’t you go tomorrow?
- Why are you late?
- Why didn’t you go to school?
How- We use how to ask about manner.
- How are you?
- How was your vacation?
- How did it go?
- How do you cook chicken?
- How small is the house?
- How tall are you?
The answer is to Wh questions provide the information that we asked about.
|What do you do?||I am a student.|
|How often do you watch TV?||I am busy. So I don’t watch TV.|
|What are you doing?||I am studying.|
|What does your father do?||My father is an farmer.|
|How old are you?||I am 24 years old.|
|How far is your collage?||It’s 5 mile far.|
There are two common question patterns for the simple present tense in English.
- First common pattern is Wh-word + do + subject + verb.
For example: Where do you live?
Note that we use does when the subject is he, she, it or a singular noun.
- Where does he go?
- Where does she go?
- Where does it go?
- Where do we live?
- Where do they live?
- Second common question pattern is Wh-word + be+ subject.
For example: How are you?
Note that be changes forms with different subjects.
- How are we?
- How is it?
- How is she?
- How are they?
- How is your friend?
- We use ______ to ask about a person.
|a. What.||b. How.|
|c. Who.||d. When.|
2. We use ______ to ask about a place.
|a. Where.||b. When.|
|c. Who.||c. Why.|
3. We use ______ to ask about time.
|a. Who.||b. Which.|
|c. Why.||d. When.|
4. We use ______ to ask about manner.
|a. Where.||b. What.|
|c. How .||d. When.|
5. We use ______ to ask about Choice.
|a. What.||b. Where.|
|b. Which.||c. When.|