In this article we are going to learn All about Abstract Noun and How to form Abstract Noun.
What is an abstract noun?
An abstract noun is usually the name of a quality, action or state of the object. Quality includes goodness, kindness, whiteness. Action includes laughter, theft movement.
For example: Childhood memories are source of great joy.
Here there are three abstract nouns in this sentence, childhood, memories and joy. These all are abstract nouns. I hope now we are clear about abstract.
How to form an abstract noun?
Abstract nouns can be formed in three ways.
- Abstract noun from Adjectives.
- Abstract noun from verbs.
- Abstract noun from Common nouns.
Let’s learn each of the ways
1. Abstract noun from Adjectives:
Let’s say three adjectives are given to you-
Then how will you form the abstract noun? The abstract noun will be found in this way, honesty from honest, ability from able and length from long. Most abstract nouns are formed from adjectives.
2. Abstract noun from verbs:
Let’s say three verbs are given-
Than the abstract noun will be formed in this way- obedience from obey, growth from grow, and laughter from laugh. In this way, you can form abstract noun from verbs.
3. Abstract noun from Common nouns:
Let’s say three common nouns are given to you-
Then the abstract noun will be formed in this way- manhood from man, slavery from slave and Kinghood or kingship from the king. In this way, you can form abstract nouns from common.
These are the three ways to form abstract noun. I hope now you are clear about three different ways to form an abstract noun.
Revise what we have learned:
- An abstract noun is usually the name of a quality, action or state of the object.
- Then we learn the three ways to form an abstract noun. Number 1. From adjectives, 2. From verbs, 3. From common nouns.